Biostatistician and data manager with a wide array of complementary skills: expertise in machine learning and statistical modeling, with special interest in joint longitudinal and time-to-event models; 10 years of experience in clinical data management; expert-level proﬁciency in R and familiarity with SAS and Stata; more than 20 years experience in computer programming; and extensive experience and training in technical and medical writing.
Oregon Health & Science University (2014)
Master of Science in Biostatistics
Thesis: Association between longitudinal changes in gait speed and survival time in aging men: A joint longitudinal and time-to-event analysis of data from the MrOS study
Overall GPA: 4.0
Society for Clinical Data Management (2008)
Certiﬁed Clinical Data Manager
Weber State University (2000)
Bachelor of Science in English, Emphasis in Technical Writing
Minors in Computer Science and Geography
Overall GPA: 3.6
Oregon Health & Science University, Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Biostatistician, 2016 to Present
- Perform a wide variety of statistical analyses, including explanatory and predictive models and machine learning
- Provide statistical consulting and support for all divisions of OB/GYN
- Collaborate on posters, abstracts, and manuscripts
- Mentor residents in research study design and data analysis
Oregon Health & Science University, Dept of Surgery
Biostatistician, 2015 to 2016
- Mentor surgical research residents in study design and data analysis
- Perform a wide variety of statistical analyses
- Provide statistical consulting and support for all divisions of surgery
- Collaborate on posters, abstracts, and manuscripts
Oregon Health & Science University, Biostatistics & Design Program (BDP)
Statistical Consultant, 2015 to Present
- Host drop-in sessions to provide introductory statistical consulting to researchers from all hospital departments
- Assist investigators with study design
- Perform a variety of statistical analyses
- Participate in BDP outreach events
World Journal of Surgery
Statistical Consultat, 2015 to Present
- Serve on the editorial board of the journal
- Review manuscript submissions as requested by the Editor-in-Chief
Portland Veterans Administration Medical Center
Program Analyst, 2013 to 2014
- Performed data management and data mining from the Veterans Administration’s national administrative database, using SAS, Stata, R, and T-SQL
- Produced analysis-ready datasets and performed descriptive analyses
- Collaborated on writing study manuscripts
Data Manager/Technical Writer, 2004 to 2013
- Prepared and validated database extractions to support statistical analyses and data audits
- Performed study-end and exploratory statistical analyses
- Wrote manuscripts, reports of study results, and literature reviews
- Designed case report forms and programmed electronic data capture (EDC) systems
- Wrote test plans and validated software and ﬁrmware for medical devices
- Wrote study protocols in collaboration with subject matter experts
Assessment of three point-of-care platelet function assays in adult trauma patients. Connelly CR, Yonge JD, McCully SP, Hart KD, Hilliard TC, Lape DE, Watson JJ, Rick B, Houser B, Deloughery TG, Schreiber MA, Kiraly LN. J Surg Res. 2017;212:260-269.
The Aﬀordable Care Act and its association with length of stay and payer status for trauma patients at a level I trauma center. Undurraga Perl VJ, Dodgion C, Hart K, Ham B, Schreiber M, Martin DT, Zonies D. Am J Surg. 2017;213(5):870-873.
Splenectomy is associated with higher infection and pneumonia rates among trauma laparotomy patients. Fair KA, Connelly CR, Hart KD, Schreiber MA, Watters JM. Am J Surg. 2017;213(5):856-861.
Is pelvic sentinel node biopsy necessary for lower extremity and trunk melanomas? Schuitevoerder D, Leong SPL, Zager JS, White RL, Avisar E, Kosiorek H, Dueck A, Fortino J, Kashani-Sabet M, Hart K, Vetto JT. Am J Surg. 2017;213(5):921-925.
Damage control laparotomy utilization rates are highly variable among Level I trauma centers: Pragmatic, Randomized Optimal Platelet and Plasma Ratios ﬁndings. Watson JJ, Nielsen J, Hart K, et al. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;82(3):481-488
Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte and platelet-to-lymphocyte ratios can predict treatment response to neoadjuvant therapy in esophageal cancer. McLaren PJ, Bronson NW, Hart KD, Vaccaro GM, Gatter KM, Thomas Jr CR, Hunter JG, Dolan JP. J Gastrointest Surg. 2017;21(4):607-613.
Patterns of care in hospitalized vascular surgery satients at end of life. Wilson DG, Harris SK, Peck H, Hart K, Jung E, Azarbal AF, Mitchell EL, Landry GJ, Moneta GL. JAMA Surg. 2017;152(2):183-190.
Sponge sampling with ﬂuorescent in situ hybridization as a screening tool for the early detection of esophageal cancer. Haisley KR, Dolan JP, Olson SB, Toledo-Valdovinos SA, Hart KD, Bakis G, Enestvedt BK, Hunter JG. J Gastrointest Surg. 2017;21(2):215-221.
Increasing tumor length is associated with regional lymph node metastases and decreased survival in esophageal cancer. Haisley KR, Hart KD, Fischer LE, Kunio NR, Bakis G, Tieu BH, Schipper PH, Sheppard BC, Hunter JG, Dolan JP. Am J Surg. 2016;211(5):860-866.
Thrombelastography-based dosing of enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis in trauma and surgical patients: a randomized clinical trial. Connelly CR, Van PY, Hart KD, Louis SG, Fair KA, Erickson AS, Rick EA, Simeon EC, Bulger EM, Arbabi S, Holcomb JB, Moore LJ, Schreiber MA. JAMA Surg. 2016;151(10):e162069.
Increasing tumor length is associated with regional lymph node metastases and decreased survival in esophageal cancer. Haisley KR, Hart KD, Fischer LE, et al. Am J Surg. 2016;211(5):860-866.
HIV positivity and anal cancer outcomes: A single-center experience. Wieghard N, Hart KD, Kelley K, et al. Am J Surg. 2016;211(5):886-893.
Predictors of improvements in pain intensity in a national cohort of older veterans with chronic pain. Dobscha SK, Lovejoy TI, Morasco BJ, Kovas AE, Peters DM, Hart K, Williams JL, McFarland BH. J Pain. 2016;17(7):824-35.
Predictors of urine drug testing for patients with chronic pain: Results from a national cohort of U.S. veterans. Morasco BJ, Peters D, Krebs EE, Hart K, Kovas A, Dobscha SK. Substance Abuse.2016;37(1):82–87.
Short-term variability in outpatient pain intensity scores in a national sample of older veterans with chronic pain. Dobscha SK, Morasco BJ, Kovas AE, Peters DM, Hart KD, McFarland BH. Pain Medicine. 2015;16(5):855–865.
The natural history of indeterminate blunt cerebrovascular injury. Crawford J, Allan KM, Patel KU, Hart KD, Schreiber MA, et al. JAMA Surg. 2015; 150(9):841–847.
Trends in the surgical management of Crohn’s disease. Geltzeiler CB, Hart KD, Lu KC, Deveney KE, Herzig DO, Tsikitis VL. J Gastrointest Surg. 2015; 19(10):1862–1868.
Psychiatric illness is a disparity in the surgical management of rectal cancer. Wieghard NE, Hart KD, Herzig DO, Lu KC, Tsikitis VL. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22 Suppl 3:573–579.
American Statistical Association (ASA) since 2012